Skip to main content

Onion Harvest

I grow a large garden every year. We start our bedding out plants in March, as part of our schooling, or so and then we get started outside by May. Now don't get me wrong, it's not like I just waltz out to the garden and drop the seeds in. There is a lot of planning and prep work. But that's not for today's post.

Once you plant that one seed you are now committed to months of work. Actually for me, it's more than half the year. 
April ~ start working the land
May~ hopefully get your seeds in
June ~ weeding and watering
July ~ weeding, watering, harvesting
August ~ weeding,watering, harvesting
September ~ weeding, watering, harvesting
October ~ harvesting
November ~ harvesting

That's 8 months out of the year that I'm working the outdoors portion of the homestead. My husband was looking at a job in Manitoba that would take him away from home for 18 months. I started to say to him, that because we home school, I could come visit him in Manitoba once.... the harvest ended, is what I was going to say. But then I realized that harvest doesn't end until the snow sticks on the ground here in Creston. That means Manitoba would be really winter time and I wouldn't want to travel out there.

Anyway, we start picking the cucumbers, peas, bean and tomatoes as they become ripe. But then we have whole crops that need to be dealt with at one time. Enter the onions!

You can see the plaits of onions here.

I plunked myself down in the onions and started pulling them out. Nothing special, nothing fancy. I bread my onions together and I'll tell you why. Once I've braided them together then I tie them in bundles so that I can hang them over a wire in our shop, (it's not a barn)

I had someone ask my why I braid them together. I braid them together so that as I start stealing onions from the bunches, the others won't slip out of the tied bundle. My mother just ties hers together in bundles, no braiding. As she cuts onions off the tops from the bundles she gets to a point where the onions won't stay in the bundle anymore because the tops of the onions can just slip through the twine.

The sledge hammer for putting in some posts for my raspberry patch. My little boys were trying to show how strong they were.

I use baler's twine because I can get it for free. That's the orange twine you can see. I use it for tying up my tomatoes to my stakes as well. Why not, it's already been used on the hay bales and has been rendered useless. We try to use up, or reuse so much stuff on our homestead because there is no need to let it go to waste.



I have always loved this quote and I'm trying to teach my children this. We live in a throw away society and I am not a part of that mentality.

Now I keep my onions hanging in my shop, where they are protected from the light frost until I move them into the house where they won't freeze. That being said, I didn't get them moved into the house last year and they froze solid. At first I thought, "Well crap! What a waste" but then I remembered that my sister in law actually dices her onions and then puts them in little baggies in the freezer. She keeps them frozen so they don't rot and then uses them as she needs. So I used them from frozen, they aren't that hard to dice even when they are frozen. So I didn't lose my onion crop last year. I did have to hurry in the spring to use up the end of them as the weather started to warm up and frost was starting to come out of the ground. This year I'm hoping to remember to get them moved into the house before they freeze!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go!

So a month ago I was contacted by My Memory Suite , a digital scrapbooking software company. They asked me if I would be interested in checking out their product and then doing a review for them on my blog. So here I am and I gotta tell you I love what they've got! First of all I'm not a scrapbooker (at least not a good one). I love the look of scrapbooking and I wish I was better at it but I struggle greatly on the 2 dimensional plain. 3D I can do, but I struggle with 2D. Anyways, this program is great for me. There are two great aspects of it that work well for me. First of all they have pages that are already made, put together and ready to go you just drop your pictures into the frames and voila! your done. The second aspect that I really like is that if you are wanting to build your own page you can put stuff on the page and take stuff off without any hassle. If your working with glue and papers things can get messy and expensive. Here it's just click and drag and you

I'm a Perfectionist

I'm a Perfectionist and it's killing me. But the first step to solving a problem is admitting that you have one. That being said, it's not actually killing me but there are moments when it feels like it is. What can I say, I like order, I like it to be done promptly and without deviating from how I want it. (My kids just don't seem to get it) Being the mother of 3 older daughters and then a son, I thought I had the 'terrible twos' figured out. I DON'T! Boys are so different from girls. Now I don't need you to shake your head at me and roll your eyes and say 'DUH' but really they are so different. It started about 2 weeks ago when Gage started getting into mischief when I was nursing the baby. O.K. whatever, but it's only escalating and I know that the biggest reason for it is Archer (the baby) but what can I do about it. When I'm tied up nursing the baby I'm nursing the baby I can't be chasing a 2 year old. Yesterday was a prime

Fruit

So the home that we purchased in Creston sits on 2.44 acres. I think it may have been a full fledged orchard back in the day but now it's just our own little piece of paradise. We have Apples, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Prunes, Apricots, Cherries, Walnuts, Hazelnuts, and Raspberries. In the short 2 weeks that we have been here we have already harvested fruit off the land. I don't have any pictures of the cherries but here is a picture of the apricots we picked up off the ground. The fruit on the tree isn't quite ripe yet but these ones have been fabulous!  This is one of my peach trees. It has quite a bit of fruit on it this year. I hope that it will continue to increase it's production over the years. I can't wait for them to ripen.  They are still quite tiny but I've been watering them so hopefully they will plump up.   There are a couple of different kind of apple trees on the property. I couldn't tell you which one is which. Only time will