Skip to main content

Picking up the Pieces


Shortly after my last post in November my health seemed to take a bit of a turn. I was tired, lethargic and it just seemed that winter doldrums had hit me quickly. It wasn't until I missed my monthly cycle in December that a light bulb clicked and I realized I was expecting baby number 6. This was not something that we were planning as I was using and IUD. 
This brought on a whole world of questions, worries, concerns, and fears. My age, the age of the kids, money, (really the lack thereof) and a million others. First our concerns were that I had an IUD still and what was the possible viability of this pregnancy. All of this was discovered on the 28th of December and of course trying to get in to see my doctor was impossible. So I had to wait.

Once I saw the doctor I was referred to a gynecologist who gave told my chances of losing the baby in the first 12 weeks was 50% greater than a standard pregnancy. 'Okay, fine.' I thought. I'll wait until the 12 week mark to tell the kids and we should be out of the woods. So we waited, and I suffered with exhaustion, heightened sense of smell, nausea.... all of the typical symptoms and we weren't telling the kids. There were a lot of questions in those weeks. 

Then the time arrived and we could tell the kids. They were excited and had many questions and concerns but we seemed to be rolling forward with this new idea of expansion in the domain. 

On Friday February 14th we announced on Facebook (you know.... make it Facebook official) that we were expecting. Well it wasn't two weeks later that this good news was going to change.          This roller coaster of emotions was going to take a major drop.

Thursday February 28 I met with the Maternity clinic for the first time. Things were moving along as they were supposed to. That evening I wasn't feeling great and I said to the hubby on the phone (he's off at work) that, 'If I was 40 weeks I say this baby was coming tonight.' 

I didn't do much on Thursday night or most of Friday. I was having weird pains.  I had had a lovely lunch on Thursday that was a large plate of raw veggies, and I thought that I was just having some bloating/gassy-ness from the fresh veggies. My mid afternoon Friday I figured that should have changed but wasn't giving it a tonne of thought. I ended up going to bed around 8pm on Friday March 1st as I felt better when I was lying down. 

I didn't sleep well most of the night. I got up around 3 am because I was starting to get sore hips from laying down so much but the pain intensified instantly. I woke up around 6 with strong pain and wondered if I was having kidney stones or maybe gallbladder issues. But it was time to seek the help of a certified person. 

I headed to the hospital just after 6:30 and by 7:15 I noticed that I was having actual contractions. Things progressed from there and our precious little 14 week 6 day old was born around 9:45 am.

Saturday was a long day as I ended up having to go to Cranbrook for an additional procedure. I am so glad that my sisters were here to support me with my husband being away at work. I am so grateful that I have a 15 year old that I could leave the house at 6:30 am and not return until 10 pm.  I am so grateful for modern medicine. 

Running from the highs of happiness to the lows of loss, I haven't been myself. Spring Break is in two weeks, and even though we don't have any plans I'm looking forward to just relaxing and bonding as a family. I'm looking forward to finding and setting goals and moving forward. It's also my birthday month!! March holds so much promise for so many things...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here we go!

So a month ago I was contacted by My Memory Suite , a digital scrapbooking software company. They asked me if I would be interested in checking out their product and then doing a review for them on my blog. So here I am and I gotta tell you I love what they've got! First of all I'm not a scrapbooker (at least not a good one). I love the look of scrapbooking and I wish I was better at it but I struggle greatly on the 2 dimensional plain. 3D I can do, but I struggle with 2D. Anyways, this program is great for me. There are two great aspects of it that work well for me. First of all they have pages that are already made, put together and ready to go you just drop your pictures into the frames and voila! your done. The second aspect that I really like is that if you are wanting to build your own page you can put stuff on the page and take stuff off without any hassle. If your working with glue and papers things can get messy and expensive. Here it's just click and drag and you

I'm a Perfectionist

I'm a Perfectionist and it's killing me. But the first step to solving a problem is admitting that you have one. That being said, it's not actually killing me but there are moments when it feels like it is. What can I say, I like order, I like it to be done promptly and without deviating from how I want it. (My kids just don't seem to get it) Being the mother of 3 older daughters and then a son, I thought I had the 'terrible twos' figured out. I DON'T! Boys are so different from girls. Now I don't need you to shake your head at me and roll your eyes and say 'DUH' but really they are so different. It started about 2 weeks ago when Gage started getting into mischief when I was nursing the baby. O.K. whatever, but it's only escalating and I know that the biggest reason for it is Archer (the baby) but what can I do about it. When I'm tied up nursing the baby I'm nursing the baby I can't be chasing a 2 year old. Yesterday was a prime

Fruit

So the home that we purchased in Creston sits on 2.44 acres. I think it may have been a full fledged orchard back in the day but now it's just our own little piece of paradise. We have Apples, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Prunes, Apricots, Cherries, Walnuts, Hazelnuts, and Raspberries. In the short 2 weeks that we have been here we have already harvested fruit off the land. I don't have any pictures of the cherries but here is a picture of the apricots we picked up off the ground. The fruit on the tree isn't quite ripe yet but these ones have been fabulous!  This is one of my peach trees. It has quite a bit of fruit on it this year. I hope that it will continue to increase it's production over the years. I can't wait for them to ripen.  They are still quite tiny but I've been watering them so hopefully they will plump up.   There are a couple of different kind of apple trees on the property. I couldn't tell you which one is which. Only time will